What is the CoP?
The Community of Practice (CoP) is a wonderful resource available to all AHIMA members. It is an “online member interaction tool designed with member’s needs in mind: up-to-date industry news, links to helpful resources, and, most importantly, solutions and ideas from peers. It’s much more than discussion boards, because there are many tools integrated into this site to help members connect with members.”
The CoP is not a replacement for the AHIMA site. It is more focused on the member’s needs. The main site is still intended to be a resource for those who are not members of AHIMA
An important thing to keep in mind, the CoP is no additional cost for the AHIMA members. It is included in your membership dues. So, therefore, the cost is the same whether you decide to join one community or 20!
The CoP, in general, is a great resource. The main AHIMA community tells the members what is going on in the national level.
You are probably asking yourself now, why haven’t I joined the Communities of Practice? Well, let us tell you just how easy it is to join!
To access the CoP click here.
How to Log on to the CoP:
- Enter your AHIMA ID number (7 digit number on your membership card). Make sure you include all numbers, including leading zero.
- Enter your password.
- If you have never created an AHIMA password online or otherwise updated your password with AHIMA, your default password is your last name.
- If you are a long-time member of AHIMA and have changed your last name (due to marriage for example) your password may still be your last name as originally provided to AHIMA.
- Click the Remember ME check box if you would like to be automatically logged in when you visit in the future.
- Click the Log in button. First time users will see the Terms and Conditions of use. You will need to click the Accept button before you can enter the CoP for the first time.
Instructions for Joining Utah CoP:
- Log into the AHIMA website.
- Select the Communities of Practice link.
- In the My Communities dropdown box, select Utah.
- If you are not a member of the Utah CoP, select Search for Communities on the top toolbar and select Utah. Once you are in the Utah CoP, click the Join button.
Every time you log into the CoP you will have your main personal page. This is where you will be able to view the communities that you have joined. You can also see when the community was last updated. There are several areas included in each community. There are FAQs, News, Links, Body of Knowledge, Resources, and Discussions.
As a member, you are able to submit information to the communities that will then be approved by the facilitator of the community. This is what allows you, as members, to access the most up-to-date information.
We hope that you will all check out the AHIMA & UHIMA CoP soon and begin to use your AHIMA benefits to their fullest!